Re: Announcing Fedora 11 Alpha (blink)

c-a-bs ought to be handled by the session as an alias for logout.  Or
possibly task manager.

No it ought not. c-a-bs is supposed to pull the rug from underneath failed applications. It's an emergency measure, supposedly effective when Windows and Apple users would be hitting the power button.

I appreciate the hyperbole on the rest of this thread, and I really
don't have a strong opinion on the default setting (well, I do, but I'm
willing to bend to popular opinion), but I do wish to make the following
argument:

Window systems without a panic button, by and large, do not have
applications that take down the whole window system, because users are
unwilling to use such applications.  Therefore, app developers are
incented to fix their applications, and window system and driver
developers are incented to fix the system.  They might have apps that
take down the _kernel_, but a window system panic button wouldn't save
you there anyway.

The most recent near-like problem I had was on Windows Server. The application I was using became unresponsive (I was using it via RDP, a dubious proposition at the best of times), and the next think I knew the system had rebooted.

Window systems with a panic button, however, do not have this robustness
property.  They can get away with having server functionality that does
not clean up properly, because there's always a janitor of last resort.
Likewise applications need not be overly concerned about fixing their
crash paths, because, why bother.  So they're never good, merely
adequate.

If someone can come up with a scenario where you really need zap, and
not just vt switch and/or logout dialog, I'm eager to hear it.  If you
can come up with one that isn't "some broken application took a server
grab and won't give it back", I'll even be interested.

I have a Tosh laptop that locks up when the screensaver kicks in. It's running F9 (and probably not going to get a newer release, each is bigger and slower then the previous).

My system at work, CentOS4, locked up today. In this case it's on a KVM along with another Linux system, so I used telinit to change runlevels.

Getting RHEL5-clone up on my HP DC7700 caused much grief and killing of X. In that case, the eventual solution was RHEL5.2-clone.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait