Re: Where has the F10 DVD iso file gone?

Chris Adams wrote:
Once upon a time, Lawrence E. Graves <lgraves@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> said:
John, strange you should say that.  A few days ago, I asked a friend of
mine that same question.  I personally think that whenever there are
updates to Fedora 10 after you have installed it, there should
automatically be an undated ISO.  When the need arises, there will
always be a fresh version of Fedora 10.  I don't know what's all
involved in the making of an iso, but it sound feasible.

That certainly isn't feasible.  There are updates almost every day,
especially for the first couple of months after release.  Ignoring the
actual work involved in spinning a release, even if you just respin the
DVD ISO and not the CDs or LiveCDs, and only for the binaries and not
the sources, that would be almost 12G of daily churn (plus the actual
updates) on the mirrors.  Torrents wouldn't help with only a 24 hour
"shelf life".

It also makes debugging somebody's install problems virtually
impossible, since you have no idea what release-of-the-day they are
using.

I think that you take Lawrence too literally. He and I agree the existing situation isn't good.

While I'm here, and since you mention torrents, I'm on this broadband plan:
http://www.westnet.com.au/internet/broadband/broadband2+ULL.aspx

I can download F10 (and CentOS) from an approved mirror and that's fine. I use a torrent today, or install off the 'net as I did with F10 recently, I will be throttled (I'm a whisker under the limit) to 64 kBits/sec instead of the 1.8 Mbytes/sec I can get normally.

The reason I'm so close to the wind right now is (in part) that I did a network install of F10 early in the month, and instead of asking about my preferred mirror it used one (or several) outside my free zone.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait