Re: F10: PC clock lacking behind with 20 minutes

Alexander Todorov wrote:
Since yesterday the result is:
1) set bios time to the correct value
2) booted the system and turned off ntp
3) left the system running for several hours then shut it down
4) turned it on today and the clock drift is less than 5 minutes. Much better than 20 minutes.

See earlier post on this thread by Michal Jaegermann. He's also seeing similar problems.

ntp is limited to fixing drifts of 500 ppm (0.05%). If the clock drift is higher than that for some reason, it can't fix it. I had a system where I had to manually tweak the "tick rate" by adding this to /etc/rc.local:

/sbin/adjtimex --tick=10195

where "10195" was relative to the expected "10000" tick rate, and had to be determined by measuring the actual drift rate. A kernel upgrade eventually made this unnecessary. (This could happen if the kernel had a flaw that caused timer interrupts to be missed regularly, for example).

I don't know if this is your problem, but maybe it will help...

- Mike