Re: Yum and Yumex

On Thu, 4 Dec 2008, Bruno Wolff III wrote:

On Thu, Dec 04, 2008 at 11:31:42 -0800,
 Rick Stevens <ricks@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

In some respects, the ability to specify "-y" on things such as yum (or
fsck, for that matter) is essentially taking the training wheels off.
Don't do it unless you're prepared for the (potentially dire)
consequences.  It's up to you to wear the helmet.

It can be surprising what it asks for though. When I did my first update
with rpm fusion I had forgotten to import the rpm fusion keys. But using
yum with the -y option had it do the update despite this and the message
indicated it did the import as well (though I haven't verified it).
My expectation was that -y was just OK'ing a list of updates, not bypassing
security checks.

-y means 'to any question you are prompted for, answer 'yes''

from the man page:

-y  Assume  yes;  assume that the answer to any question which would
              be asked is yes.

does that help?

-sv