Re: PulseAudio info needed

John Morris wrote:
On Tue, 2008-12-02 at 22:03, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
Unless somebody can identify a
real world use case for moving a playing stream from one device to
another.  Cute?  Oh yea.  Useful?  Not very.
.. unless you are using bluetooth headphones or streaming sound in a terminal server or ..

Moving between a BT headset and external speakers is a useful feature.
Haven't had to do it but can't see where that can't be done with ALSA
along with the existing hotplug/dbus/udev/blah.

If you can get it working seamlessly without PulseAudio, let me know.

 Streaming sound over
the network has been in ESD (and NAS) for over a decade.

PulseAudio among other things, is a compatible replacement for ESD which is unmaintained and has other issues. Once you look into all these different use cases, you need a sound server and PulseAudio is what we have to do that. Other sound servers cover some of the niche cases but not everything.

Rahul