Re: nis + dnslookup => glibc crash

Jon Ciesla wrote:
I haven't dug very deep but I am getting crashes in all applications that
do dns
lookups while ypbind is running. The backtraces point the crash somewhere
in glibc.
This happens when hosts in nsswitch is set to look at nis before looking
up dns
"hosts:      files nis dns".

If I reorder the line to look up dns before nis them it works fine as nis
is
never accessed. Also shutting down ypbind also makes the crashes stop.

I can get more info tomorrow morning (GMT). (Unfortunately I can't log
into that
machine from home now as I screwed something up)

Is your machine that's running ypserv set to provide host information?

That is an interesting point which I can answer tomorrow. All I know is the nis hosts are some very old sun servers. But even if it didn't then it should just drop though to dns and certainly not cause a crash in a user level app. It wasn't an issue in previous versions.

Btw the apps which crashed were yum, pidgin, firefox and thunderbird. I can try some more out but I think it is pretty generic.