Re: Connecting to Vista share using rawhide release candidate (fc10)

Clyde E. Kunkel wrote:
Todd Denniston wrote:
Clyde E. Kunkel wrote, On 11/24/2008 01:28 PM:
If from gnome I try to connect to Places/connect to server/Windows Share and enter the name of the vista computer, I get and error box saying Cannot disply location "smb://myvistacomputer/" No application is registered as handing this file. Yet, if I use the ip address of the vista computer I get access to the shares on the vista machine.

What am I doing wrong, or what do I need to do right? The vista machine s ip address is not static and changes as computers on the network are rebooted, etc.

Thanks.

Does the following look familiar/similar to your problem?
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2008-November/msg01155.html

i.e. Microsoft changed something to fix a known bug(MS08-068), and it messed up the way SMB authentication is done from a windows machine to a samba server machine. perhaps it messed it up the other way around too.

Fully updated rawhide.

I can see the linux shares from vista, not the other way. I don't know about the patch--I uninstalled it and no change in behavior on linux machine. Any idea how smb.conf should look? I used to be able to see windows shares from all the previous flavors of Fedora as back as (I think) FC 2.

I'm guessing this is Windows patch KB957097
If it is then it should have made it to RHEL radar already I think anyway..

File a bug "Windows patch KB957097 (security bulletin MS08-068) breaks samba.. "
Describe your problem
Increase the log level ( Add log level = 10 to /etc/samba/smb.conf ) of samba recreate those steps that produce the error and and attach the logs to the bug report.

You can try reverting the windows patch and unjoin <--> rejoin the host to the DC to see if that "circumvents" this issue.

JBG

begin:vcard
fn:Johann B. Gudmundsson
n:Gudmundsson;Johann B.
org:Reiknistofnun - University of Iceland;IT Management
adr:Taeknigardi;;Dunhagi 5;Reykjavik;;107;Iceland
email;internet:johannbg@xxxxx
title:Unix System Engineer RHCE,CCSA
tel;work:+3545254267
tel;fax:+3545528801