Re: Connecting to Vista share using rawhide release candidate (fc10)

Todd Denniston wrote:
Clyde E. Kunkel wrote, On 11/24/2008 01:28 PM:
If from gnome I try to connect to Places/connect to server/Windows Share and enter the name of the vista computer, I get and error box saying Cannot disply location "smb://myvistacomputer/" No application is registered as handing this file. Yet, if I use the ip address of the vista computer I get access to the shares on the vista machine.

What am I doing wrong, or what do I need to do right? The vista machine s ip address is not static and changes as computers on the network are rebooted, etc.

Thanks.

Does the following look familiar/similar to your problem?
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2008-November/msg01155.html

i.e. Microsoft changed something to fix a known bug(MS08-068), and it messed up the way SMB authentication is done from a windows machine to a samba server machine. perhaps it messed it up the other way around too.

Fully updated rawhide.

I can see the linux shares from vista, not the other way. I don't know about the patch--I uninstalled it and no change in behavior on linux machine. Any idea how smb.conf should look? I used to be able to see windows shares from all the previous flavors of Fedora as back as (I think) FC 2.