Re: Selinux and Compiz: A SELinux rant

<snip>
</snip>

From my experience things have gone a lot and I mean
a lot better but is still far away from perfection.

For the first time, I think it was the F10-beta I did not have
a single selinux report after *default* installation, now that
in itself is an achievement ( Let's hope it makes it so to final ).

I had to check if I had selinux in enforce mode here on my workstation
( F9 + I'm one of those that disables it if gets to much in my way of doing things)
and I do.

I'm not going to say I have not had to "tweak it a bit"
but it is running "silently" in the background now.

I think it's because of all the reports from the testers and
Dan's exceptional fast and good work on fixing things..

We of course have to continue feed him the reports we encounter
both from the official fedora repo's and and ( now ) rpmfusion to have things fixed before it reaches the end-users.

When it comes to the reports that the novice end user receives
they are to technical orientated even thou I personally like to get
details, they are  perceived as gibberish from the end user that does
not understand selinux.

If we really want our end users to have good experience with selinux running
we need to add several things to setroubleshoot...

A)
Simplify the reports with an "Detail" button for us techies.

B)
Add a "Report" button that would file a selinux report to bugzilla. ( Team Anconda has done this so the code is there just needs to be integrated I think. )

C)

Add "Allow access" button that would execute the fix that setroubleshoot recommends upon the end user provides the root password. The users going to do it anyway so why not make it easer for him to do so if he has the root password instead of having him open a terminal have the report open and type in what's being recommended. users that dont have the root password could "Report" the issue.

D)
Add a "Fix" button that automatically restores the default system file context.

If you have any other suggestions on how to improve selinux experience please add your thoughts
to this thread or to the RFE I filed.  #Bug 468842

Issues wont get improved/fixed if we dont report them..

JBG
begin:vcard
fn:Johann B. Gudmundsson
n:Gudmundsson;Johann B.
org:Reiknistofnun - University of Iceland;IT Management
adr:Taeknigardi;;Dunhagi 5;Reykjavik;;107;Iceland
email;internet:johannbg@xxxxx
title:Unix System Engineer RHCE,CCSA
tel;work:+3545254267
tel;fax:+3545528801