Re: F10 Beta testing resaults :)

Jóhann B. Guðmundsson wrote:
Rick Stevens wrote:
greg wrote:
[snip]
Can someone "in the know" give one an idea as to what's involved in
making decisions as to what will be "default" in the future?  I'm
curious.  Some of the decisions in the past have been questionable to
say the least.

I do believe the answer is in David Nielsen response.

"It was made the default im app in upstream GNOME, we do I believe still have a feature to track GNOME 2.24"

So I guess this should be asked of the Gnome team, eh?

I guess I should dig deeper into the Features list in the near future...

"If Pidgin was installed previously, it remains installed. On new installations we will install Empathy"

The problem is the upgrade process between versions has never been
particularly smooth.  If history repeats itself (and I sure don't see
that tradition changing soon), MANY people will end up backing up user
data and special configs and installing F10 fresh.  Voila!  No Pidgin.
Lovely.

So I guess we are stuck with Empathy not both to coexist hell. they don't even allow the fedora lock theme to be enabled
by default which btw you can enable it by doing this..
gconftool-2 --set --type string /apps/gnome-screensaver/lock_dialog_theme "system"

I just hope that the art team has not given up on creating art for the lock theme.

Well, I suppose I shall have to install F9 on ye ol' labrat machine
and run F10 as a domU under it to test this stuff.  To be honest, I
think the release cycle is a bit too short for practicality--especially
when you run into things like the new IM client segfaulting.
- Rick Stevens, Systems Engineer                      ricks@xxxxxxxx -
-  A friend said he climbed to the top of Mount Ranier.  My view is  -
-    that if there's no elevator, it must not be that interesting.   -