Re: rescue mode

John Summerfield wrote, On 09/17/2008 10:31 AM:

I'm digging around in the f9 netinst iso atm, trying to solve my kernel problem. The initrd for this iso loads a 100 Mbyte or so ramdisk that contains basically the rescue disk+installer. It shouldn't be hard to copy this to the installed system and boot it from grub.

With the recover option, one would expect this might be regenerated as new kernels (and tools) are installed.

Careful with that thought, if it is automatically regenerated you might be stuck in the same situation you are now, i.e., bad kernel|mkinitrd no booty. :)

Also if you do something like that, I think you would want the image to have an rpm entry that made for it so rpm/yum would not remove THAT kernel until you have a new known good kernel and image set for your machine, even if you have more kernels than your installonly_limit setting.

--
Todd Denniston