Re: Very slow password validation

Tomas Mraz wrote:
On Thu, 2008-07-31 at 20:20 -0400, Jim Cornette wrote:
Jim Cornette wrote:
Tomas Mraz wrote:
AS with Clyde, it is in gnome-terminal issuing the su - command
I have ssh disabled.
Can you strace the process and see where it is waiting? You will have to
attach the strace to the su process from another root shell of course.
It appears to be hanging only on the first su - instance. When I logged in one terminal by su - and logged in the second terminal with su to attach, it was fairly quick.

If the attachment does not give you a clue, I'll log in a regular root console to attach. See text file attached.

Jim

It looks like time to change the root password :-)

I also didn't ask you to attach the full strace but told you that you
should use it to find out where the process is waiting. :-) But I should
have write a warning that the strace will contain the password so some
testing password should be used.

Also attaching a gdb to the process and printing a backtrace (especially
with relevant -debuginfo) packages can help to find out where the
process is waiting.

Sorry for posting the whole trace, If I would have skimmed through the trace first I would have noted the password was in it and not have carelessly posted the info.

Anyway, the problem seems to be an initial login as root, even at runlevel 3 and on a vt. Later logins do not seem to have the delay.

Jim