Re: Upgrading to 10alpha

Todd Denniston wrote:
John Summerfield wrote, On 08/07/2008 02:22 AM:
Chuck Anderson wrote:
On Thu, Aug 07, 2008 at 09:13:40AM +0800, John Summerfield wrote:
Jerry Amundson wrote:
On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 7:38 PM, John Summerfield
<debian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
What it wants is to download 1.7 Gbytes of stuff. I don't have that much
free space[1], but mounting a USB drive is possible.
You've left out quite a few details if a 1.7 GB problem requires a 320
GB solution.

See below, I need to buy a new drive and clone and retire the existing drive. There's no space for a new drive.

Well, another solution is "delete 1.7 GB of data". You could for example remove -devel packages (and definately debuginfo if you have any):

yum remove \*-devel \*-debuginfo
And if my -devel packages are essential?

and if that doesn't give enough space, consider temporarily removing some applications to free up enough space to do the update, then put them back after, e.g.:

yum groupremove 'Office/Productivity'

Check for huge logfiles in /var/log and delete or compress old ones, etc.

My space vanishes in chunks of several gigabytes; it's chock fill of (not very functional) virtual computers.

I'm well-practiced at recovering space; if I need to resort to those measures, a new disk drive is cheaper.

The first step in recovering wasted space is to find where it's used. Deleting installed software isn't going to recover anything like 1.7 Gbytes (it's about all of the installed software).

After reading all of the above, I have three possible suggestions:
1) you can
mkdir myempty;cd myempty
yum update oof*
yum clean all
yum update kde*
yum clean all
yum update gn*
yum clean all
yum update
i.e., update the large chunks and then there will be less to update in one chunk.

2)  get a large (bigger than 2GB) USB mass storage device and
mount /dev/myExt[23]FormattedUsbDrive /var/cache/yum
yum update

Recall that my original question was "Where do I mount another disk?" and it was answered by Jerry. I have several options for _external_ storage, both USB storage up to 500 Mbytes, and network-accessible shared storage..

3) get a really large (bigger than 20 GB) USB mass storage device and
get a mirror of the development repository on it,

I'm hoping to avoid downloading the entire repo. I've not looked, but I assume it's 3 Gbytes or more.

modify /etc/yum.repos.d/fedora-updates.repo to point to
baseurl=file:///where/my/big/repo/is/at
and comment (put a # at the begging of the line) the mirrorlist=.
[yum is apparently smart enough to know that if the files are on a file system it can access, it does not need to copy them before using rpm on them.]
yum update

I appeciate that people have offered alternative solutions to my problem. It's often the right thing to do, and I do it myself, but this time the second best solution is the one I had in mind at the beginning.

The best solution is a new, larger drive but I don't have one to hand and I'm not going to rush out and buy one until I establish F10 will actually be useful to me.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait