Re: Swap problem with F9 PPC

Guillaume wrote:
Thank you for your help.
Before your mail, I tried to re-install the ibook with an other partitioning...
I selected "Removes all partitions and creates default partitions" ...
With this option, I get a F9 system with no swap problem !
Now it works ! :)

Hmmmmm.......

About my previous swap problem, there are 2 options:
- I made a bad personnal partitioning... possible, but I don't know why and I did not get any anaconda warning/error...

Yeah, that's a bit worrying.

- Anaconda and/or F9 have a bug on PPC when using personal partitioning...
(I installed 3 times F9 on this ibook with personal partitioning and 3 times I get this swap problem...)

Well, it'd be nice to decipher what actually is wrong with your manual
partitioning.  I'm willing to continue helping if you want to try again.

Rick Stevens a écrit :
Guillaume wrote:
The result of fdisk and parted :

[root@ibook ~]# fdisk -l

      There is a valid Mac label on this disk.
      Unfortunately fdisk(1) cannot handle these disks.
      Use either pdisk or parted to modify the partition table.
      Nevertheless some advice:
      1. fdisk will destroy its contents on write.
      2. Be sure that this disk is NOT a still vital
         part of a volume group. (Otherwise you may
            erase the other disks as well, if unmirrored.)

Disque /dev/hda: 60.0 Go, 60011642880 octets
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 7296 cylinders
Units = cylindres of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Périphérique Amorce    Début         Fin      Blocs    Id  Système

[root@ibook ~]# pdisk
-bash: pdisk: command not found

[root@ibook ~]# parted -l
Model: TOSHIBA MK6025GAS (ide)
Disque /dev/hda : 60,0GB
Taille des secteurs (logiques/physiques): 512B/512B
Table de partition : mac

Numéro Début Fin Taille Système de fichiers Nom Fanions 1 512B 32,8kB 32,3kB Apple <=== don t know what it is, may be apple needed 2 32,8kB 1081kB 1049kB hfs untitled démarrage <=== The apple boot loader 3 1081kB 15,7GB 15,7GB ext3 untitled <=== my / 4 15,7GB 16,8GB 1074MB linux-swap swap swap <=== my swap 5 16,8GB 60,0GB 43,2GB ext3 untitled <=== my /home

I seems that I have no extended partition ...
It can be apple specific...

It very well may be.

DISCLAIMER: I've never used a Mac with Linux before, so anything I say
here should be looked at VERY carefully.

And swapon -s .... is empty :(((((
[root@ibook ~]# swapon -s
Filename        Type        Size    Used    Priority

I install 3 times F9, I always use the manual partitionning, and I get I times this swap problem...

Ok, try "swapon -a" (should start swap).  Watch carefully to see if it
complains about any missing devices.  If it does NOT complain, try
"swapon -s" and see if it's working.

If "swapon -a" DOES complain, you may need to change your /etc/fstab
to use the "/dev/sda4" nomenclature rather than "LABEL=swap-sda4".  It
may be that swapon doesn't recognize the label on the filesystem.  You
can also try "swapon -L swap-sda4" (to manually try to force the label) or "swapon /dev/sda4" (to manually use /dev/sda4).

Rick Stevens a écrit :
Guillaume wrote:
Hi,

I installed an ibook G4 (256 Mo SDRAM) with Fedora 9 PPC.
I have a problem with the SWAP.

- the gnome system appet show me that I don t use the SWAP...

- when I use top command I get:
Swap: 0k total, 0k used, 0k free, 82388k cached

- the SWAP partition size is 1024 Mo !
I set it at install time and I verify with now with gparted

- The SWAP partition is in the /etc/fstab:
LABEL=SWAP-hda4 swap swap defaults 0 0

Uh, oh.  Methinks I see an issue here.  First, I didn't know you could
use labels for swap partitions (since they don't have a real filesystem
on them).  I've always used the /dev name of the device (in my case
using LVM, it's /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01).

On top of that, partition 4 is the extended partition which contains
/dev/hda5, /dev/hda6 and so on.  Using that as swap (if you could force
it) might cause LOTS of grief.  A dump of "fdisk -l" would be nice.
If you have a /dev/hda5 in there, then using hda4 as swap can be fatal.

- When I run a task that use some CPU/Memory, It crashs the kernel
When I does not crash, I get some really bad errors like "can not fork: counld not alocate memory" Due to this problem, I can not run yum update on X session, It uses to memory
I run init 3 and then I run yum update ...
But It is not a normal behaviour

Someone have any idea of what happened ?

What does "swapon -s" show?  Here's mine (granted, X86_64):

[root@prophead ~]# swapon -s
Filename                         Type         Size    Used  Priority
/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol01  partition    2031608 1500  -1