Re: Swap problem with F9 PPC

Thank you for your help.
Before your mail, I tried to re-install the ibook with an other partitioning...
I selected "Removes all partitions and creates default partitions" ...
With this option, I get a F9 system with no swap problem !
Now it works ! :)

About my previous swap problem, there are 2 options:
- I made a bad personnal partitioning... possible, but I don't know why and I did not get any anaconda warning/error...
- Anaconda and/or F9 have a bug on PPC when using personal partitioning...
(I installed 3 times F9 on this ibook with personal partitioning and 3 times I get this swap problem...)

Guillaume

Rick Stevens a écrit :
Guillaume wrote:
The result of fdisk and parted :

[root@ibook ~]# fdisk -l

      There is a valid Mac label on this disk.
      Unfortunately fdisk(1) cannot handle these disks.
      Use either pdisk or parted to modify the partition table.
      Nevertheless some advice:
      1. fdisk will destroy its contents on write.
      2. Be sure that this disk is NOT a still vital
         part of a volume group. (Otherwise you may
            erase the other disks as well, if unmirrored.)

Disque /dev/hda: 60.0 Go, 60011642880 octets
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 7296 cylinders
Units = cylindres of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Périphérique Amorce    Début         Fin      Blocs    Id  Système

[root@ibook ~]# pdisk
-bash: pdisk: command not found

[root@ibook ~]# parted -l
Model: TOSHIBA MK6025GAS (ide)
Disque /dev/hda : 60,0GB
Taille des secteurs (logiques/physiques): 512B/512B
Table de partition : mac

Numéro Début Fin Taille Système de fichiers Nom Fanions 1 512B 32,8kB 32,3kB Apple <=== don t know what it is, may be apple needed 2 32,8kB 1081kB 1049kB hfs untitled démarrage <=== The apple boot loader 3 1081kB 15,7GB 15,7GB ext3 untitled <=== my / 4 15,7GB 16,8GB 1074MB linux-swap swap swap <=== my swap 5 16,8GB 60,0GB 43,2GB ext3 untitled <=== my /home

I seems that I have no extended partition ...
It can be apple specific...

It very well may be.

DISCLAIMER: I've never used a Mac with Linux before, so anything I say
here should be looked at VERY carefully.

And swapon -s .... is empty :(((((
[root@ibook ~]# swapon -s
Filename        Type        Size    Used    Priority

I install 3 times F9, I always use the manual partitionning, and I get I times this swap problem...

Ok, try "swapon -a" (should start swap).  Watch carefully to see if it
complains about any missing devices.  If it does NOT complain, try
"swapon -s" and see if it's working.

If "swapon -a" DOES complain, you may need to change your /etc/fstab
to use the "/dev/sda4" nomenclature rather than "LABEL=swap-sda4".  It
may be that swapon doesn't recognize the label on the filesystem.  You
can also try "swapon -L swap-sda4" (to manually try to force the label) or "swapon /dev/sda4" (to manually use /dev/sda4).

Rick Stevens a écrit :
Guillaume wrote:
Hi,

I installed an ibook G4 (256 Mo SDRAM) with Fedora 9 PPC.
I have a problem with the SWAP.

- the gnome system appet show me that I don t use the SWAP...

- when I use top command I get:
Swap: 0k total, 0k used, 0k free, 82388k cached

- the SWAP partition size is 1024 Mo !
I set it at install time and I verify with now with gparted

- The SWAP partition is in the /etc/fstab:
LABEL=SWAP-hda4 swap swap defaults 0 0

Uh, oh.  Methinks I see an issue here.  First, I didn't know you could
use labels for swap partitions (since they don't have a real filesystem
on them).  I've always used the /dev name of the device (in my case
using LVM, it's /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01).

On top of that, partition 4 is the extended partition which contains
/dev/hda5, /dev/hda6 and so on.  Using that as swap (if you could force
it) might cause LOTS of grief.  A dump of "fdisk -l" would be nice.
If you have a /dev/hda5 in there, then using hda4 as swap can be fatal.

- When I run a task that use some CPU/Memory, It crashs the kernel
When I does not crash, I get some really bad errors like "can not fork: counld not alocate memory" Due to this problem, I can not run yum update on X session, It uses to memory
I run init 3 and then I run yum update ...
But It is not a normal behaviour

Someone have any idea of what happened ?

What does "swapon -s" show?  Here's mine (granted, X86_64):

[root@prophead ~]# swapon -s
Filename                         Type         Size    Used  Priority
/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol01  partition    2031608 1500  -1

- Rick Stevens, Systems Engineer                       rps2@xxxxxxxx -
- Hosting Consulting, Inc.                                           -
-             To iterate is human, to recurse, divine.               -