Re: icewm has no programs

Gilboa Davara wrote:

I'm not sure that this is that-uncommon (given the target user-base of
IceWM - very-low-end-machines - such as my 10 y/o laptop...) - again,
generating the menus is a CPU and I/O intensive task.
We have timed this?

I have timed it.
On machines ranging from PII/266/256MB to 16-core-Xeon/256GB RAM...

... Needless to say, the Xeon fared much better :)

In theory, I can install this icewm-xdgmenu by default, have it run
@post, and let the users regenerate the menus manually - but then I
would most likely get a lot of "why-isn't-program-X-in-my-menu" bug
reports.
Every properly packaged program (MUST in Fedora packaging guidelines) would have a .desktop file and the program would show up as defined by xdg spec. This is what we should support out of the box regardless of the desktop environment. If the programs don't show up on the menu automatically, wouldn't that indicate a packaging bug?

OK. Let me start from the beginning.
Icewm's support for desktop files is problematic.
It's far slower then normal (manual) menus and you have a lot of missing
icons/applications/etc.

In essence, icewm works best with text-based menus - mostly because it
was designed around it.

In-order to get full menus, with user-selectable icon themes, without
sacrificing performance, I used Konstantin Korikov xdg-to-icewm menu
generator. (Credit where credit is due)

You should understand that unlike GNOME/KDE/XFCE Icewm is essentially a
text-file driven WM.

Menus, toolbars, WM options, startup scripts are all text based.

I don't have a problem with it sticking with its existing menu/options/startup etc.

I do think it should respect the conventions that apply in Fedora (and its relatives), and my cursory reading of RPM's triggers suggests that the triggers mechanism provides a way of keeping properly synchronised.

Hopefully, the work to do it is light and educational.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait