Re: icewm has no programs

Gilboa Davara wrote:

I'm not sure that this is that-uncommon (given the target user-base of
IceWM - very-low-end-machines - such as my 10 y/o laptop...) - again,
generating the menus is a CPU and I/O intensive task.

We have timed this?

In theory, I can install this icewm-xdgmenu by default, have it run
@post, and let the users regenerate the menus manually - but then I
would most likely get a lot of "why-isn't-program-X-in-my-menu" bug
reports.

Every properly packaged program (MUST in Fedora packaging guidelines) would have a .desktop file and the program would show up as defined by xdg spec. This is what we should support out of the box regardless of the desktop environment. If the programs don't show up on the menu automatically, wouldn't that indicate a packaging bug?

It would have been nice if I had an apt-like "suggest" feature built
into yum/rpm/etc.

Suggest is probably going to rpm.org upstream soon and has been patched by various distros for a while now. However it can be a pain for automated installations (do you install soft deps or not?), QA (test with and without the optional dependencies) and should be used very carefully.

Rahul