Re: icewm has no programs

Gilboa Davara wrote:

A bit about my background, it will help you see my perspective.

I currently work at a school. I look after a network of Windows (including AD), Apple Mac and Linux computers.

The students use Windows and they are tied down very firmly with Windows group policy. They don't get popup menus, the don't get command windows or the run menu item, they don't get to examine the local disk's contents. If a computer misbehaves, I simply reinstall Windows. Or junk it.

The teachers are much like the teachers you and I had when young, they're mostly nice people (but able to convince students they're not), competent at what they do, but mostly clueless about computers. If they can't print, "The Internet's down," and I get a call.

If it's not straightforward when the computer's put in their hands, the are lost.

In a previous life, I used to be a sysprog on IBM mainframes at the Department of Social Security, and these days I hang out on a list for Linux on zSeries.

The school's a small shop, the folk on with the zSeries are from big shops, as DSS was then, is now.

I don't like lots of computers that need individual attention. I would expect that DSS and other major departments, and companies, count their computers in tens of thousands, big multinationals in hundreds of thousands. I expect that they lock down their staff as firmly as we lock down the students. Running around giving computers individual attention isn't something that scales or that they would do.