Re: icewm has no programs

Gilboa Davara wrote:
On Mon, 2008-05-12 at 15:28 +0800, John Summerfield wrote:
Gilboa Davara wrote:
On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 7:32 AM, Gilboa Davara <gilboad@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 7:31 AM, Gilboa Davara <gilboad@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 5:28 AM, John Summerfield
<debian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
System: HP DC7700
OS fedora-release-9-2, AMD-64.
Last updated within the past two houes.

"Programs" menu in icewm is absolutely empty. Essentially, it's unusable.

Please file a bug report against icewm.
... And post the BZ# here.

446022

OK. Assigned to me. (NEEDINFO)

I assume that you're using icewm-xdgmenu, right?

Okay, it seems to me an undeclared dependency.

Undeclared, by design.
Some people might want to define the menus manually.

Seems to me that
1. It should, in the first instance, share the global definitions,
2. Maybe allow per-user overrides.

As one who supports users' computers, I see grief for sysadmins in the current implementation. Sysadmins like computers to all be the same.

Note, the description says "each time the user logs _in_."

Indeed.

As I noted in the bug report, it does happen when one logs in, it happens asynchronously and had me a bit puzzled when I saw it twice before it was fully built.

I'd be happier if the menus were built by a script run by rpm; I've never looked at triggers, but I expect that this is the sort of thing they deal with.

Problem is - I don't have any means to detect if the GNOME/KDE menu have
been changed since the last login.

Look at what the triggers do. What (I think) you need is to know when the packages reflected in the menus get installed/removed, maybe updated.

More-ever, even on my laptop (a PII/366, 256Mhz), rebuilding the menus
eats ~1-3 seconds (being executed in the background).

I managed to see it not completed, twice, on a Core 2 Duo system.

If you want to disable the auto-rebuild, just edit
the /usr/share/icewm/startup script.

I managed to reproduce the problem, but a simple login-logout solved
the problem.
Weird.
Since my problem seems explained by the lack of a menu generator, and presumably you do have said generator, you and I might be seeing different problems.

Guess so.

It will be a while before I test it, atm I'm trying to virtually install CentOS5 using KVM and I'm wondering whether it's emulating the CPU.

P.S. IceWM is also a part of Fedora's EPEL repository. (RHEL/CentOS)

atm I have SL5 on two systems, I have IceWM on one of them. It seemed pretty quick (and I didn't see a problem with the menus), that was (in part) why I installed it on Fedora.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait