Re: After updates, won't boot past the word "grub" with F9

Joel Gomberg wrote:
I'm experiencing the same issue on an F9 x86_64 updated system. I booted with the rescue disk and everything GRUB-related looks fine. I ran a memory test which also checked out. I don't know what component to file a bug against, although my suspicion is that it's anaconda. Any help would be appreciated. The system stops at the word "GRUB" and allows no further input.

Sorry to reply to my own message, but I've fixed the problem on my machine and this may be of help to the OP. Somehow, GRUB stage 1 was corrupted. To fix the problem:

1. Use the install CD/DVD to boot into rescue mode. After issuing the chroot /mnt/sysimage command, type "grub."

2.  You should see a "grub >" command line.  type "root(hd0,0)".  Hit enter.

3.  Type "setup (hd0)" and hit enter.  This should reinstall grub in the MBR.

4.  Type "quit" to exit the grub shell.

Reboot. This worked for me. This method assumes a typical install of grub into the MBR of the first hard drive.

--
Joel

--
Joel