Re: jigdo

Adam Pribyl wrote:
I appreciate the effort put into preparing jigdo and templates for F9, however I'm bit strugglig what is the purpose of this method. It's maybe great for server side distribution, but it's bit useless without users using it right?
No, it isn't a peer to peer distribution method. The clients retrieve the files within the larger iso from individual files provided on mirrors in any case. Instead of one large DVD download with potential for an incomplete download, it can be easily restarted, and pointed to the user's nearest possible mirrors, or local files. That's good if you are on the rawhide testing run - once the dvd jigdo is released, you probably already have 95% of the rpms already on your disk.

As of now, there is no description how to use those cryptic .jigdo file on fedoraproject pages.
Did you find the unity writeup clear ?
What would you change ?

Anyone with a wiki account can create a new page, or start work on such a document within your wiki home. Ask if you need help !

Actually the jigdorelease feature has good info:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/JigdoRelease

You can find it only on http://fedoraunity.org/solved/post-install-solutions/jigdo/ and it actually is not a "one click" method (btw: pyjigdo I did not found in repos for F8, or am I wrong?).
ya missed it:
$ rpm -q pyjigdo --info
Name        : pyjigdo
Version     : 0.2
Vendor: Fedora Project
Release     : 3.fc8
Build Date: Sun 23 Dec 2007 12:57:02 EST
Install Date: Sun 06 Jan 2008 13:36:58 EST
Build Host: xenbuilder2.fedora.redhat.com
Group       : Applications/System
Source RPM: pyjigdo-0.2-3.fc8.src.rpm

Would it be worth droping at least note at get-fedora pages what to do with those jigdo files, if we do not have an application to asociate them in web browser?
$ rpm -qf /usr/bin/jigdo
jigdo-0.7.3-4.fc8