Re: nv and external monitor (hotplug?)

On Mon, 14 Apr 2008, Adam Jackson wrote:

On Mon, 2008-04-14 at 11:18 -0400, Neal Becker wrote:
Adam Jackson wrote:
On Mon, 2008-04-14 at 08:46 -0400, Neal Becker wrote:
I recall one goal of F9 was that hotplug was supposed to work for
detecting new displays?

I tried this with the last F9 live, with nvidia (nv driver).  Plugged in
TV to svga, but I see no evidence it was detected or could be used.

For nvidia cards, only G80 and later GPUs have working RANDR 1.2.  This
includes the GeForce 8000 and 9000 series.  What model do you have?

NVIDIA GPU GeForce 8600M GS (G86) at PCI:1:0:0 (GPU-0)

That should be working then.  It won't light up magically just from
plugging it in, but xrandr and the monitor resolution applet should be
able to configure it.

In my experience the nVIDIA chipsets do not want to see any external monitors (s-video, tv, secondary VGA, etc.) unless they are plugged in when the machine was started. I know it is true of the 440go chipset. I will be testing the 8600m chipset this Wednesday at the Portland Linux/Unix group Advanced Topics meeting. (My new laptop arrived this morning less than 2 hours after I left for work.)

--
Truth is stranger than fiction because fiction has to make sense.