Re: Why does fstab use partition UUIDs vice partition labels in F9 beta?

Bryn M. Reeves wrote:

Clyde E. Kunkel wrote:
OK, tell me more...if, on my test system I set up several small boot
partitions and label them with the distro I am testing and make sure
each name is unique, where would a global conflict occur?  Aren't the
names used in context?  If this were a mumps (M) system, I can see where
you would have to be very careful, but, thank heavens, its linux.

It's the "if" in your first sentence - *IF* you set up several small
boot systems and are careful with the labeling, it's fine. If you're not
it isn't. You obviously understand the need for labels to be unique but
unfortunately many users don't and even those who do sometimes make
mistakes.

My problems first occurred when copying disks. I think these UUID things don't help for that.

Better, I think, to whinge and gripe and expect the user to "choose one."

Once one is chosen, ignore any subsequent duplicate UUIDs.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait