Re: Correct way to not load ipv6 module f8/9?

On Mar 20, 2008, at 11:20 PM, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:

On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 02:57:48PM -1000, David Cantrell wrote:
[...]
We have removed the ability to disable loading the ipv6.ko kernel module.

Why?

Because 'turning it off' should not be the fix if people are experiencing problems with having IPv6 support enabled. If there are problems, we need to fix them. For some users, IPv6 will be forced on you at some point in the future. Yes, it's an absolutely glacial adoption rate, but we'll have it or some variation of it in the future. Having it around now in Fedora and making sure everything works with it (all the way from interface configuration to web browsing) ensures that when people are forced to use it, we [Fedora] are a choice for them.

One of the complaints I hear most often about IPv6 being enabled on Fedora right now is that 'it [IPv6] makes ifconfig output look weird', which I find amusing.

My suggestion to people is to let the module load, but disable autoconfiguration on the interface using the three lines in /etc/ sysctl.conf that I mentioned in a previous reply.

--
David Cantrell <dcantrell@xxxxxxxxxx>
Red Hat / Honolulu, HI