Re: Correct way to not load ipv6 module f8/9?

On Mar 20, 2008, at 2:33 PM, Jerry Williams wrote:

I don't need ipv6 and I tried adding the lines to /etc/modprobe.conf to not
load it but it still happens.

So what is the correct way to not load the ipv6 module?

I have searched and haven't been able to find anything.
I did move the module out of /lib/modules/kernelversion and that works, but
that seems like the wrong way to do it.

Please point me at a link or let me know the correct way.
Thanks!

At some point you won't have a choice, but until then, there are ways to prevent IPv6 configuration on an interface. Edit the ifcfg-ethX file and add:

	IPV6INIT=no

If you are using NetworkManager, you may want to edit /etc/sysctl.conf and add these lines:

	net.ipv6.conf.ethX.accept_ra = 0
	net.ipv6.conf.ethX.accept_redirects = 0
	net.ipv6.conf.ethX.autoconf = 0

For each of your ethernet devices.

We have removed the ability to disable loading the ipv6.ko kernel module.

--
David Cantrell <dcantrell@xxxxxxxxxx>
Red Hat / Honolulu, HI