Re: X.org server 1.5: An ABI Too Far?

Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R wrote:
Should Rawhide switch back to a supported version of X.org,
or at least make it an option?  Much of what makes a desktop
contemporary depends on features in the Nvidia driver not
presented in the nv driver.

I Googled around and didn't find any explanation of what
fantastic wonders await us with the new ABI.  I did get the
impression the new X.org ABI isn't even settled yet, let alone
finished and implemented.
If that is true,  perhaps Fedora should stick with a working
version of X until the support for the New X is there.  Or at
least provide a working (e.g., Compiz et al.) X as a choice.

Quite honestly, I think this is an nVidia problem, for the failure to at least publicly state they are in motion on this... the fact that the 1.5 ABI is not permanent/stable yet is a very small hurdle to them. Their official position has been stated at nvnews.net that they intend to wait for the official release of xorg 7.4. I think the unstable ABI is being used as an excuse not to get the driver done. It will look bad on both their part and on Fedora's part *again* if a Fedora release goes out on which the nvidia proprietary driver cannot be used. I don't think it is something that is Fedora's problem though. My view is that a very small group of people are currently maintaining the xorg drivers, have them working *very well* for many other drivers and hardware which have open 3d specs, and those same very few people would love to have the opportunity to maintain nvidia's driver too.

If nVidia wants to continue with the completely closed driver route, I feel its their responsibility to make the resources available for their people to move ahead on this. By the time the new X ABI is released a driver should be done, and preferably beta tested. Getting it ready sooner than later would show continued dedication to providing quality support to the linux community.

--
Andrew Farris <lordmorgul@xxxxxxxxx> www.lordmorgul.net