Re: Is It Worth Installing F9 Alpha?

Andrew Farris wrote:
John Summerfield wrote:
Robert L Cochran wrote:

John Summerfield wrote:
Robert L Cochran wrote:

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I guess I'll wait for the beta
release. March 20 or so...that's not long.
You can, of course, continue to read about things that don't work.
Just in case you are tempted to throw caution to the wind:-)

My impression is that there may not be that many testers of Fedora 9. Or
at least, fewer people seem to be posting about Fedora 9 bugs. I wonder
if momentum for the Fedora distro has slowed a bit? Fedora Core 1 seemed
to have many testers...now Fedora 9 seems to have fewer folks out there.
But then I may not be very observant.

Well, we're not up to beta yet, and this alpha is a good one to miss. I say that as one who has it.

I prefer the point of view that, due to installing the alpha, *many* bugs have been identified in what will be a release full of incredible advances. ;)
Oyes, but it's a bit late for that.

And it really is... PackageKit, ConsoleKit, PolicyKit, upstart,
upstart eh? I met that on ubuntu, I'm glad to see it. It probably explains another bug: this doesn't work:
[summer@localhost ~]$ egrep mingetty.*clear /etc/inittab
1:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty --noclear tty1
[summer@localhost ~]$

I'm not the only one who does that, I did it when someone else had a problem and I was trying to help out.

FF3/xulrunner, disk encryption, ext4, liveusb persistence, and lots of the other features are really neat stuff.