Re: yum update in rawhide after a long break [was Re: rawhide report: 20080114 changes]

Jim Cornette wrote, On 01/23/2008 09:08 PM:
Todd Denniston wrote:
Jim Cornette wrote, On 01/14/2008 06:07 PM:
Todd Denniston wrote:

2) to get an F8 machine[1] on to rawhide do I just need to disable the yum entries for fedora & updates, and then enable development, then do a yum update?n

You may need to do this upgrade incremental. Also make sure that you are running yum from a virtual terminal instead of through a terminal in the GUI. Chances are that X will crash and yum will have left a mess in the aftermath. I prefer to upgrade the glibc items first and then everything incrementally except do not update the kernel until the later portion of the update.

I have a propensity to `yum update yum* rpm* cpio gpg` before I update much else on the system...
That bit me this time.

I do not update yum initially because of past failures. I guess it is still a good idea to wait until the bulk of packages is upgraded.

learning.

apparently the yum-3.2.8-2.fc9 rpm set got something wrong.

If it depends upon a certain version of python it should have pulled it in or refused to pull in yum,

Actually, it does not seem to be a python problem so much as a problem in yum-metadata-parser-1.1.2-5.fc9.i386.rpm with _sqlitecache.so ... see my next paragraph from (my first email in this thread today) and http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=178870

so it looks like I am going to be doing an `rpm -Fvh *` in my Rawhide mirror, updating openssl just pulls in too many dependencies.... and after that failed ... a little googleing ended up at:
http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=178870
by pulling the _sqlitecache.so (and just that file) from a yum-metadata-parser-1.1.2-1.fc8.i386.rpm, at least lets yum try to update 731 packages. [It looks like it may have worked, but <deity> only knows how much on the raw side of rawhide the machine is now.]

It should pull in the newer packages correctly I would expect.

the yum-metadata-parser-1.1.2-5.fc9.i386.rpm must then be the package with the problem.???

while update was running I was seeing lines like
I/O warning: failed to load external entity "/etc/gconf/schemas/gdm-simple-greeter.schemas"
next line indicates No such file or directory.
(and most of them seemed to be gconf related... to bad I did not log the update with errors to a file.)

It exists on rawhide. At least for my setup.
locate gdm-simple-greeter.schemas
/etc/gconf/schemas/gdm-simple-greeter.schemas

seems to be there now (with a date of 2008-01-18, so it's new), I was just seeing the above errors during the update.

so anyone got any good suggestions to figure out what is likely broken besides running (and running every package on the system)
package-cleanup --problems
#indicates glibc requires glibc-common-2.7-2 and 2.7.90-4 is installed
rpm -qa --last|grep glibc # shows glibc-2.7-2 and glibc-2.7.90-4 installed

package-cleanup --cleandupes might work. I would prefer downolading the rpm and running rpm --replacepkgs --replacefiles on the later rpm. Both should work.
I have the rpm, but I think I will hold of till morning before doing either of the above.
Try running rpm -qV on both packages and most likely files are missing from the earlier version.

rpm -V glibc-2.7-2
shows lots of files with problems
rpm -V glibc-2.7.90
shows a few files with problems in size and md5sum, and /lib/libc-2.7.90.so is one of them.

Someone indicated on the Fedora list that the --replacefiles option is not good for some reason. They seem to have no negative outcomes for me. I don't customize many files though for packages.

any clean way to clean THAT up, or am I back to installing 7.92 and carefully updating from there (no http to new rawhide iso's)? assuming that an rpm -e on any glibc is a badddd thing.

package-cleanup --dupes
and
package-cleanup --orphans

If you are going to start from the beginning you might as well install from rawhide or from your local mirror of rawhide.

My local mirror of rawhide is on an ext3 formated USB hard drive... I suppose I could have a machine export it out nfs, but it annoys me that anaconda can't work with it just as well local.
Oh, and what do I use as a boot disk for a rawhide anaconda installer?

Thanks for all your feedback.
--
Todd Denniston