F8T2 (x86_64 Live) System->Administration->Display annoyances

I have an Asus P5B Deluxe motherboard, an Acer AL1711 (1280x1024) display and I have been trying the live CD.

When I log on, the display remains in a low resolution mode.

If I use System->Administration->Display to select the appropriate monitor, or choose Generic LCD 1280x1024 then do "ok", xorg.conf is written without any Modes in the Subsection "Display" (ie the Modes line is missing) and xorg.conf.backup is NOT written. After Control_Alt_Backspace, the display appears (it seems) with resolution 1920x1080 - and luckily the monitor syncs to this.

If I then use System->Administration->Display to change the resolution to the desired 1280x1024, then the "Modes" line appears in xorg.conf and after Control_Alt_backspace the display is set correctly.

I don't think that this is a new phenomenon. I think it will certainly discourage a novice from using Fedora.