Re: What is the fascination with 'spins'

Dr. Diesel wrote:
I'm with the size reduction group.  Minimal install and yum for the
rest.  For example, I never install Openoffice cause there is usually
already an updated version, why install it then have to download the
same amount for the update?

This does give an idea that packages which are updated frequently should be located on install media which is more flexible. Package which are pretty much stabilized and things the program set out to do are well planned and updates are rare should be located on fixed media.

One could probably get a good idea as to which packages contribute to the need for upgrade frequently once the install media was used to install the static install media by tracing the updates and testing frequency from FC6.

Create a basic install CD, then hit the repos for the packages that
interest you, then you'll be getting the latest on the first run.  Of
course this doesn't work for dialup people but......

With static media available, the dial up user would be stuck with possibly a system that would have possible security flaws since downloading on dial-up is a bit of a challenge.

I don't know what possible alternatives would work out to make a never changing media for the initial installation and media for the constantly evolving programs.

Basically this thread seems to be a good discussion and some very good ideas were presented rationally. I bow out now since most of the ideas which I agree with were already presented by others on the thread.

Jim

--
QOTD:
	"If he learns from his mistakes, pretty soon he'll know everything."