Re: [OT] nouveau packages for Fedora

Dawid Gajownik wrote:
Hi!
Right now Rawhide is really boring (devel freeze). If you have a bit more time, nVidia card and would like to test nouveau¹ driver you can check this page → http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/FedoraPackages

Compared to standard nv driver nouveau supports EXA acceleration and is a bit deobfuscated.

I'm considering packaging what few external drivers there are (nouveau, the N via forks, etc) in extras. I'm already doing the core Xorg video drivers so it's not much additional load.

The major problem I'd have with putting them in core is having to decide among which driver to use by default, and I don't think there's any good way to express that within rpm or yum. Extras gives you some level of opt-in, but that feels like an abuse if we eventually want the core/extras distinction to go away; then again, ideally there'd be no forked drivers either.

It's a hard problem, I'm certainly open to ideas, but I definitely want to see them get into the distro.

- ajax