Re: Fedora(rawhide) and XFCE 4.4 beta 2

Erik Harrison wrote:
On 9/3/06, Paul Michael Reilly <pmr@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I bit the bullet and installed Xfce 4.4 beta 2
(xfce4-4.3.90.2-installer.bin) on my rawhide system.  I installed it
to /usr/local thinking that putting /usr/local/bin on my PATH variable
before /usr/bin would cause the beta2 executables to run before any
yum installed (fedora-extras-development.repo) Xfce 4.2 executables
(/usr/bin) so my first question is: was/is this wishful thinking (that
I could have both 4.4 beta 2 and 4.2 installed to the same system and
not encounter serious issues)?

Officially I believe having multiple installs is unsupported. Some of
us devs do it (I do not) and in the past, attempts have lead to major
library conflicts

No problem. I realize full well that I am pursuing a high risk course. FWIW I faced the choice of using the supported (Fedora) Xfce 4.2 (getting real stale), using a developer repo that a RedHat dude created with Xfce 4.4 beta 1 or biting the bullet and installing Xfce 4.4 beta 2. The latter was most appealing to me even though it is fraught with risk.

I am running a dual head configuration (individual displays rather
than xinerama).  There are two issues that pop up immediately that I
need to solve:

1) there is a bar across the top of both displays that appears to be
an orphaned panel, i.e. I cannot get rid of it (the original panel
that was at the top has been moved to the bottom of screen 0 and works
just fine there.

I was able to solve this problem. I killed two taskbar processes, saved and then restarted the session. They were gone. This says to me that Xfce 4.2 cruft was stored in the saved session.

2) I cannot seem to use the settings->panel manager dialog to
accomplish much with the second display.  When I click on the box
representing the second display the dialog disappears along with all
the applications running in the fist display.  I will need to repeat
this a few more times before I can accurately describe what is really
going on, so this description represents my first take.

I'm not sure what to tell you here. I don't believe any of the primary
devs use Xinerama so support has always been based on heavy reliance
on user testing. So ordinarily I'd encourage you to file some detailed
bug reports. But since you have two versions of Xfce installed....

which means it will probably be a waste of my time, so I will hold off until Fedora supports xfce 4.4 in rawhide, something I'm not expecting anytime soon. Hopefully by that time I will have pulled out enough arrows to add value to that discussion/process. :-)

-pmr