Re: Why did fbdev replace radeon in xorg.conf?

Clyde E. Kunkel wrote:
Bill Nottingham wrote:
Clyde E. Kunkel (clydekunkel7734@xxxxxxx) said:

<snip>

Start with kudzu, we can go from there. What arch, hardware, etc?

Bill

Problem confirmed on a second system with radeon graphics card.

Both x86, both ASUS P4C800 Deluxe mobos with Radeon 9200 cards in AGP slot. Second system has two radeon cards, AGP and PCI, 9200s. Both are rawhide updated thru today.

I believe kudzu could be the culprit since I watched the second system

<snip>

Ok, on system with two radeon cards replaced kudzu with an older version, rebooted, then yum update kudzu to 1.2.47-1. Checked xorg.conf, fine. Reboot, saw appended to Checking new hardware init msg something like: Freeing option 0x9678cd8.

At logon time, msgs about couldn't start x server, entered root password then msgs about trying cards 0 thru 3, then msg about trying an alternative configuration and X server did start with S-C-D gui asking for a screen resolution. Gave it 1280x1024 (ususal that I use) and got logon screen at strange resolution which turned out to be 2048x1536. Checked xorg.conf and it was a minimalist one, but it did id the graphics card as radeon and not fbdev. Also, there was an xorg.conf.backup created with fbdev as the driver. Deleted this xorg.conf and .backup and copied over xorg.conf I saved and all is well. Reboot with new kudzu was ok.

Shall I enter a bz for kudzu?

--
Regards,

Old Fart
(my reply-to address is "munged" to defeat spambots)