Re: xsane finds scanner only as root

On Sun, 2006-06-25 at 18:49 +0200, Uno Engborg wrote:
> Gerry Tool wrote:
> > It seems like every new test release reasserts scanner problems that
> > have been solved before.  My scanner works fine in FC5.
> >
> > I have an Epson Perfection 4490 Photo scanner which is supported by the
> > epkowa iscan package, providing the epkowa.conf package that allows this
> > scanner to work with xsane.
> >
> > After installing iscan-2.0.0-0.c2, both iscan and xsane work with my
> > scanner if I execute them as root.  However, if I try to execute them as
> > a normal user, the scanner is not found.
> >
> > Does anyone know the correct fix for this problem, or should I open a
> > new bug report?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Gerry
> >

> This is probably a result of your scanner device is not readable by
> other users than root.
> If you no what your scanner device is called you could change the
> permissions for the
> device so that all users can access it.
>
> Another, better, solution would be to set it up as a networked scanner
> by using saned.
> The procedure is well described in the saned man page. Follow that
> example and don't
> forget to restart your xinetd to make it work.  Also make sure that the
> line "net" in
> /etc/sane.d/dll.conf is not commented out. Add localhost to
> /etc/sane.d/net.conf
> That way your scanner device could be owned by one saned user, and the
> access to
> it could be controlled by editing the file /etc/sane.d/saned.users (see
> the saned man page).
>

> Regards
> Uno Engborg

Thanks for your suggestions.  Changing the permissions does not make it
work for a user.  The new udev system seems to control scanner device
use.  I may try your network suggestion later, but I succeeded in
getting the scanner to work for users by adding a file
60-libsane.epkowa.rules to /etc/udev/rules.d whose contents are:

[root@fc5 rules.d]# cat 60-libsane.epkowa.rules
# Epson Corp.|Perfection 4490 Photo (GT-X750)
SYSFS{idVendor}=="04b8", SYSFS{idProduct}=="0119", SYMLINK+="scanner-%k"

I suspect that adding this entry to the supplied 60-libsane.rules file
would also work, but doing it this way may remind me with the future
test releases and the final release of FC6 to do this.

Gerry