Re: Cursor tracking in thunderbird/firefox?

D Canfield wrote:
Ben Steeves wrote:
On 3/3/06, D Canfield <canfield@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I don't want to be the kind of guy that harps on his "favorite" bugs,
but I'm finding it incredibly difficult to believe that the cursor
tracking that is broken in both the thunderbird editor and the firefox
textarea has not been fixed this close to release.  Is it really not
driving anyone else totally insane, or is it just a handful of us who
are experiencing it?  There is an open bug in bugzilla about the
thunderbird issue, and I would expect the two are related.  I don't know
if the editor is mozilla specific or a gtk thing, but I've not noticed
the issue in any other gtk apps, and the issue doesn't exist on
Windows.  Yet, it still occurs with a fresh download from mozilla.com.
Anyone know what's going on with this?
Because the feature (bug) is in mozilla (including a fresh download - it would be great to check mozilla bugzilla and if necessary file there.

It might be more helpful if you were to point to the bugzilla entry or
describe the behavior more completely, 'cos I for one am not sure what
"cursor tracking" means.
Bug  177436.
Suuplying a full URL would be nice as well: this saves other people time who might like to give of their time to look at your issue ;-)

Put a cursor in the middle of a line of text in the middle of a paragraph, and then press the up or down arrow. The cursor will jump to the beginning or end of the next/previous line, rather than remaining in the middle of the line of text like every other application on the system does. This only happens on mozilla apps, but not under windows. Can't currently confirm it on other linuxes.
Is this in the mail reader ?
Only in three pane mode ?
What about when you double click a received mail ?
What if there is less than a screen full of paragraphs ?
Can you grab some example text (something of the web if you like) that causes the problem ? A bug isn't a solvable bug unless it is reproducible by someone else...how else could anyone know what they would need to do to fix ?

DaveT.