Re: Cinema Display 30 and Radeon 9600

On Mar 1, 2006, at 8:05 PM, Alan Cox wrote:
Mpeg hardware decode is actually not very useful these days. If you need it then you can get it on the low end via boards open source, but on a P4 or Athlon64 its hardly useful and most boards just provide scalers and colourspace
conversion which actually is the important stuff

Do you use MythTV with HDTV (1080i and 720p) video? It takes a lot of CPU to do decoding, scaling, etc without a dedicated chip. A big CPU means higher cost, larger power supply, and lots of cooling leading to excessive noise in the living room, the last place you want it.

For MythTV it seems most people end up going with the nvidia boards and jumping through flaming hoops to get XvMC working in the proprietary driver to assist with HDTV decoding so they can use a low end CPU and keep costs and noise down. Even at that XvMC isn't pretty when it comes to quality of deinterlacing a 1080i stream compared to what xine or mplayer can do in software when given enough CPU.

Having quality OSS drivers that handled dedicated hardware for decoding HDTV video would be nice. Unichrome is a great effort in that regard. Unfortunately, I personally find the availability of unichrome XvMC supported chipsets that can handle 1280x720 or 1920x1080 video output lacking in main stream motherboards. Admittedly, most users I've seen on the MythTV lists do not seem to be as concerned about HDTV quality or output as I am :)

--
Scott