Re: FC5T3: Duplicate packages installed

On 02/27/2006 01:19 PM, seth vidal wrote:
For FC5 I agree with that of course, since we're nearing the end of the
FC5 devel cycle.  Once FC6 development begins however, it would be a
prime time to make this change to rpm in rawhide so that everyone who
relies on the current behaviour will have plenty of time to fix their
scripts.

Then, if it appears there are still a lot of broken scripts out there as
FC6 nears, we can change it back to the current query results for FC6,
and then re-change it for FC7 development.

The end goal being a migration from what it reports now, to what we
would like it to report in the future, with plenty of time for people
to fix broken scripts that don't formulate their own --qf queries.

This allows forward progress, while minimizing problems, and providing
a migration path.

Alternatively, we could discourage the use of rpm as a command itself
and push people toward using repoquery. repoquery acts on local rpmdb's
as much as repositories.

and repoquery's default format is:
name-epoch:ver-rel.arch

Additionally a note in Release Notes in x86_64 specific part about it could go a long way as to prevent some confusion. One short paragraph that the x86_64 release contains some packages in two versions 32- and 64-bit and eventually how to query for them.

It will not prevent all reports about duplicate packages but at least limit their number and also provide some educational/useful information.

Dariusz

___________________________________________________________ Yahoo! Messenger - NEW crystal clear PC to PC calling worldwide with voicemail http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com