Re: todays rawhide - feedback

Antonio Olivares wrote:

--- Rodd Clarkson <rodd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Sun, 2006-02-19 at 08:33 -0500, Jim Cornette
wrote:
Rahul Sundaram wrote:
Jim Cornette wrote:

dragoran wrote:

I installed todays rawhide tree and found this
issues: 1) why is
there no shutdown/reboot in the gnome menus ?
this is a desktop
system and I do not want to suspend it.
It is an assumption upstream that reflects if
your computer is capable
of suspending, you do not need a shutdown
choices. A lot of comments
previously in gnome-power-manager thread.
Incorrect. It is a Fedora specific change.

Thanks! I thought that upstream GNOME decided on
this approach. Either
way, limiting the ability to reboot/shutdown is
not practical for many
reasons.
Yeah, for example on a system that doesn't suspend
properly, but all
you're offered is the opportunity to suspend.

Once FC5t3 is out I'm going to do some serious
looking into why my very
recent Dell Inspiron 9300 doesn't suspend (or
hibernate), but even so, I
still need some way of shutting down the system, and
getting it to start
again (without having to reboot using the on/off key
after suspending)

Become super user $ su -
psswd: ******
# shutdown -h now
and/or
# poweroff

I know that there are other ways to shutdown / reboot the system.
But I don't see any reason to remove it from the menu, even upstream does not do it. Don't tell me that having a shutdown/reboot button will confuse users, its the opposite. Maybe we even will get bugreports like this :"updated to fc5 and shutdown button dissapperd" or something like that