Re: todays rawhide - feedback

Antonio Olivares wrote:

--- Rodd Clarkson <rodd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Yeah, for example on a system that doesn't suspend properly, but
all you're offered is the opportunity to suspend.

Once FC5t3 is out I'm going to do some serious looking into why my
very recent Dell Inspiron 9300 doesn't suspend (or hibernate), but
even so, I still need some way of shutting down the system, and getting it to start again (without having to reboot using the
on/off key after suspending)

Hitting the power button once on my HP laptop works to shutdown the system cleanly. You can also make a launcher on your desktop with the poweroff command and it will shut down the system cleanly.

I cannot suspend either. I used to be able to suspend and the computer would flash the light as in suspend. Whenever I would try to resume though, the laptop display was blank and the keyboard input did not seem to take. Later, I was testing hibernate and the computer would cycle for a short time, then come back to life. The symptoms showed that it could not find a swap partition. Swapon -s showed I had an active partition. I however reformatted the swap and changed to device to /dev/hda5 in fstab rather than the SWAP-hda5 label it had previously. Now suspend will seem to take. It errors on recovery from the suspend state specifying that it could not find a suspend signature on swap and will not resume. Go figure! (my fault for the reformatting swap additional problem)

Become super user $ su - psswd: ****** # shutdown -h now and/or # poweroff should work as usual(from command line/terminal) in case the
options are removed from KDE/GNOME.

poweroff does not require root privileges on my system anyway.

Best Regards,
Antonio

I guess what I'm saying is maybe we need to leave shutdown and
restart in place until such time as suspend is actually working as
expected.

They should be available regardless. Who is to determine if one uses the laptop once a month or several times a day. The user should have all options available and decide which mode to set their computer into.

Rodd

Jim