Re: todays rawhide - feedback

dragoran wrote:
I installed todays rawhide tree and found this issues: 1) why is
there no shutdown/reboot in the gnome menus ? this is a desktop
system and I do not want to suspend it.

It is an assumption upstream that reflects if your computer is capable of suspending, you do not need a shutdown choices. A lot of comments previously in gnome-power-manager thread.

2) the user switch feature disappeared from gnome-screensaver I was
using test2+updates (some days/weeks old) and did not had this issues. can this changes be reverted in fc5 final?

Upstream? RH developers? gdmflexiserver could do the same?

other issues : beagled should be started by default if it is enabled
in the preferences (had to add it to the gnome-session)

Not familiar with the intent of the program. I did dislike the very large emails sent to system in the past generated by beagle. If as I suppose, it is some "new and improved" GUI file search tool, I have not tried the program myself. I still use locate from the CLI.

why is xfs started by default in runlevel 3 ? If I boot into runlevel
3 (=textmode) I do not need xfs (doubt that anybody needs it)

Traditionally, it was not wise to start in runlevel 5 and was considered safer to start in runlevel 3. In runlevel 3, I myself start X via startx command. Runlevel 3 simply allows you when to launch and close X with multiple virtual terminals. Runlevel 5 presents the respawning if X fails with virtual terminals. If xfs is needed to run startx, leave it in runlevel 3.

 Jim

--
Cahn's Axiom:
	When all else fails, read the instructions.