Re: Crippling Gnome-power-manager, Why!

From: Jeff Spaleta <jspaleta@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Crippling Gnome-power-manager, Why!
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 14:52:36 -0500

On 2/16/06, Don Springall <don_springall@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> My point being there does not seem to be any management of the
> features being released or the timing of them.

I really don't know what you are up in arms about.  This feature was
added on monday's rawhide push...so it made the freeze deadline.
Changes after the deadline will need to have a "damn good reason".
"damn good reason" can and will include reverting features which are
considered broken.  I really don't understand why you consider this a
problem in how things are being managed...the feature made it in by
the deadline.

-jef

It may have made it in under the wire but I am betting a lot of people did not notice it until yesterday. It took many of us quite a while to get 1.3 gigs installed. The freeze was delayed to Monday to get gcc 4.1 changes in. I think sneaking this in was a mistake. Now a lot of people will be testing suspend. On my system it goes into suspend okay but does not wake up properly all the time. I will tell you tomorrow how long my battery lasts on suspend. My point still is that one week for a significant change like this is not good. Rawhide is more stable now than test 2 but it still does not feel solid to me. Performance is still not good and gnome feels rather sluggish at times.

I think we should be concentrating on performance and bug fixes right now, not new feature testing. Again could they have not waited one lousy week to try this out ?

My apologies if my reply got posted twice, my isp is unreliable at the moment and keeps dropping my connection.