Re: /sys/bus/usb/devices vs. /proc/bus/usb/devices ....

Tom,

I am running VMWare WS Version 5.5.1 build 19175
When I insert the usb media, I get an audible sound, an icon is placed on the desktop, and a folder is opened with flashing notification in the Gnome taskbar at the bottom of the workspace. ( Not sure if this has any relevance but, when I initially startup VMware, the usb hub is found by Vmware and annotated as present.)

The reason I write this, is I am not sure I am tracking on the essence of the problem -- probably just me as I am not the sharpest tool in the shed ;o) Anyway, I have provided some directory listings below from my system; is the consistent/inconsistent with your observations?

Thanks,

Doug
Without LEXAR Media inserted:
[root@localhost doug]# ls /dev/bus/usb/
001
[root@localhost doug]# ls /dev/bus/usb/001/
001
[root@localhost doug]# ls /sys/bus/usb/
devices  drivers
[root@localhost doug]# ls /sys/bus/usb/devices/
1-0:1.0  usb1
[root@localhost doug]# ls /sys/bus/usb/devices/usb1/
1-0:1.0              bMaxPacketSize0     driver        product
bcdDevice            bMaxPower           ep_00         serial
bConfigurationValue  bNumConfigurations  idProduct     speed
bDeviceClass         bNumInterfaces      idVendor      uevent
bDeviceProtocol      bus                 manufacturer  usb_device:usbdev1.1
bDeviceSubClass      configuration       maxchild      version
bmAttributes         devnum              power
[root@localhost doug]# ls /proc/bus/usb/ (note: nothing present here)
[root@localhost doug]#

With LEXAR Media inserted:
[root@localhost doug]# ls /dev/bus/usb/
001
[root@localhost doug]# ls /dev/bus/usb/001/
001  003
[root@localhost doug]# ls /sys/bus/usb/
devices  drivers
[root@localhost doug]# ls /sys/bus/usb/devices/
1-0:1.0  1-1  1-1:1.0  usb1
[root@localhost doug]# ls /sys/bus/usb/devices/usb1/
1-0:1.0              bmAttributes        devnum        power
1-1                  bMaxPacketSize0     driver        product
bcdDevice            bMaxPower           ep_00         serial
bConfigurationValue  bNumConfigurations  idProduct     speed
bDeviceClass         bNumInterfaces      idVendor      uevent
bDeviceProtocol      bus                 manufacturer  usb_device:usbdev1.1
bDeviceSubClass      configuration       maxchild      version
[root@localhost doug]# ls /proc/bus/usb/ (note: nothing here as above)
[root@localhost doug]#

Tom London wrote:
Sigh.  vmware can no longer scan for USB devices.

I've tried passing in the 'new location' (i.e. /sys/bus/usb), etc.,
but that crashes vmware.

vmware appears not to like /dev/bus/usb (it is looking for a 'devices'
directory).

Posted this in the vmware support board......