Re: Please strip out the patch that brings up applications behind gnome-terminal

Miles Lane wrote:

This is the upstream behavior of metacity 2.10.  I don't think there
is a gconf key to customzie the behavior.  You could use a different
window manager which can be customized.  I think kwin, the KDE window
manager, allows focus stealing prevention to be customized.

This is exactly the sort of thing that drives me nuts with Gnome.
The Ximian HIG/usability folks come up with some whacko default
and then make it impossible for users to work around it.
Who is it who decided to change this Metacity behavior?
I cannot believe that this is going to be a usability benefit for most
users.  Argh!  This may drive me back to KDE again.

I don't do things serially: a little while ago I clicked a link in some email, the went on to other mail (probably in a different client, I use Mozilla Mail and Thunderbird about equally).

I really don't want Mozilla taking me away from reading my email, I'll get to the website in my own time.

One of the most annoying assumptions programmers for Windows seem to assume is people always do things serially. "Don't do anything else while you burn a CD." "You can't do anything else while you read the contents of your Olympus Digital Voice Recorder." Bah.

I currently have stuff open on seven desktops in KDE and often have more. My window list currently runs to two columns and often to more.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait