Re: Please strip out the patch that brings up applications behind gnome-terminal

Jeff Spaleta wrote:

but at the same time... having the pop up dialogs "pop-under" terminal
windows in a way that you can't see them at all is also a problem.

Indeed. One of the cuter problems I had on OS/2 a few times was two programs crashing and bringing up two system-modal dialogues.

The bad thing about that was the one with focus was not the one on tim, and as they were system-modal the user couldn't change focus (and couldn't drag one out of the way either).

Ultimately I hit on the idea of pressing the space-bar to signal "Ok."

OS X has a good way of handling it: if an application pops up a dialogue, its icon on the task-bar (equivalent) starts dancing, waving its hands and generally showing excitement. (Well, I do exagerate a little, but it's hard to miss but doesn't actually get in the way).

KDE apps have been starting behind for some time, and after a while I decided it was deliberate and good. As I started trying to respond to this, I had Mozilla get in the front twice, once when it started and once when the site tried to set a cookie. It's annoying.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait