Re: FC5T2 ready for even a test release?

David Nielsen wrote:

I had the misfortune to be contracted to teach Linux to a bunch of 10th
grades using FC3 a while back - and they assumed naturally that
"Everything" was somehow superior to a standard desktop install. Asking
if people want to install everything is kinda similar to asking if they
want to super size their "meal" (and I use the word in it's vaguest way
possible), it just sounds better. I'm quite convinced that in the real
world that option creates more potential problems and bad experiences
than benefits, especially given the availablity of technology to fill
the gap.

And there, apparently, is a valuable lesson you failed to teach.

I'm therefore personally thrilled to see it go the way of the dinosaur -
if you have special install requirements I'm sure you'll be able to do
it by hand or if required use kickstart - wonderful technology.

Feel free to disable "everything" in your personal derivative, but let those who value it have it. Disabling "everything" is fairly simple, just a minor mod to the comps file (delete or rename the choice) and rebuild your repository (you do install of the LAN, don't you?).

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait