Squares instead of fonts, Was: (no subject)

Scott Talbot wrote:
	Hello list.

	I've been seeing this for a while, but didn't mess with it.  Seems that
xmms and mplayer have a problem with fonts.  In xmms the file list and
all settings, and any sub-window from here show little squares instead
of characters.  mplayer is nearly identical

	Is no one else seeing this? I was disregarding this as mplayer is
clearly not a fedora product, but 2 upgrades of xmms (with FC5 in the
name, have not put any dent in this, so maybe I'm alone?

	Scott

I've seen this same behavior with various older (and external) apps, even if I rebuild them from source. In particular, pptpconfig does this to me. One thing that I believe xmms and pptpconfig have in commong is gtk1. Could this be the issue?

DC