Not creating /dev entries at boot

I'm having a weird problem with rawhide that started a couple of days ago - none of the directories managed by udev are being created at boot. No /dev/tty*, no /dev/pty*, no /dev/mem, no /dev/random, no /dev/ttyUSB*. As you can imagine, the system is not very happy.

udev on start is saying "kernel too old for this version", which seems strange as I am running 2.6.14.2 - if that is "too old" then something is seriously wrong with the udev folks idea of "old".

Has anybody else seen this, and does anybody have any suggestions?