Re: Latest rawhide vs Bootchart

John Reiser wrote:

Looks like ntpdate was waiting on net connections to finish setting the clock.
Either we should make it fork, or we should allow multiple initscripts
to start at once (I thought the latter was being looked into?).

It can't fork -- some later init scripts may require precise
synchronization (e.g. kerberos-related services). If you want to run
time sync, you'll have to wait for it to finish.

I trust the hardware clock enough that there should be an option
not to wait for ntpdate.  The machine boots within a few hours
(usually, mere minutes) of controlled shutdown.  Plus, I'm willing
to tolerate a slop of 2 or 3 seconds for the first half a minute,
in order to save 15 seconds of time at bootup.

Could the forking just be an option in /etc/sysconfig/ntpd? That way those of us who want to speed stuff up can do so, and the rest can wait it out? Ideally, it would probably be great to set the default based on whether you choose desktop or server in anaconda. Most desktop users would probably prefer the 2-3 second inaccuracy while a server install is probably a good place to wait.

DC