Re: mono? true?

paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi,

> gcj IIRC is clean room

I though clean room implementation was a defence against copyright rather than patent infringement?

How can you infringe on something you've never seen. If that was the
case, any big company could happily claim that some of the methods in Qt
are rip offs of (say) MS Foundation Classes as they do the same job.

TTFN

Paul

Unfortunately, not true in either case but generally using a clean room is sufficient to guard against copyright violations. To violate a copyright, you have to make an unauthorized copy. It's possible that someone working in a clean room would come up with the same code as the original author but not very likely and the most likely elements that would be identical (e.g., header files and interfaces) aren't protectable elements. To infringe a software patent, you only need to implement something the does what somebody else has already patented (e.g., look up the stink over Amazon's "one click" shopping patent). It doesn't matter if the development was done in a clean room.

Note that the above is not a legal opinion and I personally think the whole idea of software patents is absurd. Unfortunately, that's not the way the U.S. patent office sees things. You can find a much better discussion of these concepts than my feeble attempt at http://www.groklaw.net.

Cheers,
Dave