Re: Why are software raid devices being renamed?

Didn't "reply all" originally....my original reply to Mr. Jones is below. Sorry for the confusion....

Peter Jones wrote:
On Tue, 2005-12-20 at 11:48 -0500, Clyde E. Kunkel wrote:
Since about mkinitrd-5.0.11, software raidsets are being created in /dev during initrd with the name /dev/md_dn where n is the number of the raidset instead of /dev/mdn. This is causing all sorts of problems from the worst being kernel panics and the least being raidsets not being mounted in fstab.

You're still the *only* person I've seen reporting this.  Are you sure
something else in your environment hasn't changed?

(Also, you're sending mail with reply-to: clydekunkel7734@xxxxxxxxxx,
which is certainly broken.)

Other folks have seen this also. I believe they have reported in 169059. The only thing that I can think that may be influencing this besides religious updating with rawhide is that the two systems I am having trouble with are multi-boot. I have tried very hard to keep the different distros separate. Could they possibly write something to the disks that is foreign to FC? Also, why would reverting mkinitrd back to 5.0.10 eliminate the problem? There must be a clue there. I am sorry that I am not better at troubleshooting. I have been studying the nash code best I can, but not being a programmer, it is hard going even using some C books that I have. I would like to help resolve this and am doing the best I can to provide information.

My mail reply to address is deliberately broken to avoid spambots from using it. Just remove "munged" from the @cox.mungednet.

--
Regards,

Old Fart